Monday, March 14, 2011

Return from sabbatical

Unfortunately, looks like I'm not exactly going to meet my goal of posting once every day this month, seeing as I spent the last week looking for apartments with my girlfriend in the sunny state of New Jersey. However, I did spend that trip listening to three different caper/heist novels, which have really stoked my creative fires on this D&D Heist thing. So within the next few days, I'll hopefully be bringing you some of my new ideas, including the beginnings of my Whimsy deck, an analysis of how each D&D class fits into a 'string,' as Donald E Westlake calls it and some floorplans of potential heists in the inimitable graph paper dungeon style.

But to get us started, here's a completely legit YouTube link to the entirety of the Castle of Cagliostro, one of the greatest anime films of all time and a fantastic heist film in its own right.



See you soon.

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I'm really looking forward to this. I've been running a somewhat heist style D&D game, but I've been lax about researching heist fiction and prepping the kinds of game materials you're talking about here. The campaign has been a blast for a lot of reasons, but I think it has largely failed to live up to the promise of a "heist game" because of my lack of heist-appropriate expertise and prep materials.

    The stuff you write here about heists in D&D will have a real, concrete impact on actual play at my game table. I'll be putting it to use to improve aspects of my campaign.

    I can't wait to see what you have to say about the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm glad that someone else has tried this model for an old-school D&D campaign, since it really clicked with me in a way that dungeon crawling and wilderness hexes hadn't. I hope that this stuff helps you out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree -- the "heist/caper" is a really compelling frame for approaching D&D. I'm sure what you have on the agenda will help me think about it and put it into action in more useful ways.

    I'm especially looking forward to your series on the "string," which a cool-sounding idea, and new to me, since I'm not familiar with Westlake.

    And floorplans! Heist maps are something I can put right to work.

    ReplyDelete