Tuesday, June 29, 2010

When the SAGE comes marching in

As my first attempt to become involved in the Old School community at large, I signed up for Zak S's Secret Arneson Gift Exchange. This morning, I received my request:

"Please provide brief map, room descriptions, etc. for the following location:

Red Lotus Caves of the Blind Minotaur

These watery caves are the home of a rare red lotus bush which is jealously guarded by an aged Minotaur who is blind in one eye. He is an exiled prince of the Minotaur Hills who spends his days and nights in fevered lotus dreams, and is at this point quite mad."

From what it looks like, I'm going to be working on a One-Page style dungeon. But what I'm really intrigued by with this proposal is the reasoning behind the minotaur prince's descent into madness. Maybe he's like the Man In The Iron Mask and the caves are his prison. Either way, it is totally a work-in-progress that I'm definitely excited about.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I hope you post the final product at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that the dungeon is meant to keep the minotaur in, rather than vice versa. Not to completely discount the threat of an opium-mad minotaur prince, rather to make it more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if the prince is also a mystic? Spewing prophesy has he attacks any who come near...

    ReplyDelete