Tuesday, February 8, 2011

RIP Brian Jacques



While I was in the middle of writing another post, I heard the news that Brian Jacques has passed away at the age of 71. The Redwall books were some of the most formative fiction of my childhood. My first informal roleplaying games among friends involved the Redwall universe and as soon as I got my hands on GURPS 3rd Edition in my 6th grade year, I tried to use it to make Redwall characters. They were heroic tales, stories about community and perseverance. A lone abbey in the wilderness surviving against any onslaught thrown at it.

But mostly, they were about food. I think I can honestly say that Redwall made me into a foodie. Jacques was a master of tantalizingly describing tarts, stews, breads and cordials in a way that made my 4th grade brain hum with delight. I only really started to cook myself when I was in high school, but ever since reading the Redwall books, I wanted to try new and exciting foods wherever I went.

So thank you, Brian Jacques. You will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great homage. I really like his books, too. I've only read three, but I enjoyed them immensely. I wonder if the Mouseguard would be a good game to emulate the Redwall books?

    ReplyDelete