Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Further thoughts on Mutant Future

So, after last week's Mutant Future post, I printed out a copy of the rules at the school's computer lab and have been checking them out when I have the chance. So far, an extended look at the rules has mostly verified my suspicions from last week: still a whole lot of Labyrinth Lord in those rules. I'm mostly afraid that in trying to run the kind of game that I want to run in Mutant Future, I would have to hack out and house rule an inordinate amount of stuff, write up my own equipment lists and probably my own monsters, mutants and robots, too. I don't want to feel like I have to rewrite the entire thing to get it to work for me.

So what would work? Frankly, the more I've been hearing about the new D&D Gamma World, the more inclined I am to pick it up. It seems to be able to do what I want it to do right out of the box, but I've been trying not to spend money on gaming stuff.

Totally awesome mutant pigs vs. PCs picture by Chance II of the Something Awful forums from his Roadhogs and Rednecks Gamma World Let's Play.

3 comments:

  1. If you're having a bit of trouble with MutFut ideas, swing on by my blog, The Savage AfterWorld:
    http://savageafterworld.blogspot.com
    At last count, 63 new creatures, 21 micro-encounters, 20 new devices, 6 new character classes, and 200+ Mutant Future-related posts. You might find something useful to pump up your campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's awesome. Seriously, thank you.

    When it comes to monsters, Swords and Wizardry style monster should be compatible with Mutant Future, right? I kind of glaze over when I look at Labyrinth Lord-style monster write-ups, but I can whip up an S&W monster block really easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything should be easily converted to to MF, but you might want to bump up the HD in each monster.
    Besides those awesome Thundarr stats, the Herculoids Files could also be helpful:

    http://paratime.ca/herculoids/index.html

    ReplyDelete